Jamie Comes Home!!

Monday, March 5, 2012

March 5, 2012- Last Email!!

Hello!

Well this, I'm assuming, will be the last e-mail I send to you as a missionary!  This last week I feel like I learned a TON. I'm glad I got some more learning under my belt just before I left. I figured out how this companionship helped me learn important lessons. I did a study one day about the difference between botteling things up in an unhealthy way, and "turning the other cheek" as Christ would. I didn't really understand the difference, so I didn't understand why I was getting so weighed down by not responding negatively to things. Basically I figured out that a forgiving mouth is botteling things up, and a forgiving heart is turning the other cheek. I think that's what I lacked. I would very easily and imediately say to others, and even to myself, that I forgive them, but the feeling didn't pass through my heart first. That's what I need to learn to do. Also, I never realized how prideful I was. It was always dormant and waaaay deep down in my heart that it didn't necesarily show on the surface (or maybe it did and I just didn't realize it). These last 2 cambios brought it to the surface, which I guess is good because I can recognize it and do something about it. So, I'm pretty content with all of these last minute lessons. I also realized that all of the faults and insecurities I have about things I've done fall under the category of pride, just that one thing, which made me feel better because I feel like as a missionary I'm allowed to have 1 or 2 flaws (but no more than 2 haha!) Things have been really good with us yesterday and today, I feel like maybe there's a big lift of stress or something.
  
I'm glad to know that the Lord is so powerful. It is a relief to know that He will bring about His work (whether through me or in spite of me haha). Cristian said that he would ABSOLUTELY come to church this Sunday because we gave him a cookbook that we made for him with the members, and when he saw how they all knew him and cared about him, he said he would have to come. We passed by 5 times on Saturday to verify and remind him and finally found him right before 9:30. His electricity got cut, but he said his neighbor would charge his phone so we could call him in the morning to wake him up before we passed by. I was fasting that he would come and feel the Spirit. We were so hopeful. When we passed by, the scary dog that lives in the apartment right under him that bit me last time was trapped in his pen and couldn't get to us, everything seemed to be going SO perfectly... and then we got to his door and knocked and his cousin came to the door and told us that he had left right after and never came home Saturday night. I was really bummed, but I KNOW that the Lord will continue giving him chances. Maybe I won't see the fruits of our labor now, but someday, someone's efforts will bring these people to live the truth. I'll be just as happy when I see them in paradise as if it had been for my efforts. I plan on continuing to be a missionary in my own way for the rest of forever. I'm sad to leave Chile. I've grown to love the people here so much, but I'm excited for the future and the good things I will try to do with it.
  
Thanks for everything! I'm excited to see you soon!

Love,
Hermana Gebara

No comments:

Post a Comment